Monday, March 12, 2012

White Chili

Another family recipe!
My Grandma Selinger, who apparently had some food allergies like me, came up with this recipe for white chili. I am not a fan of tomato-based chili, it's a long story, but this is just right on those days when its cold and gloomy out (like this past Thursday!). I ended up sending the leftovers home with Big and Little, a little too much cheese for me, but its still just as good as I remember from when my mom made it :)

White Chili
3 lbs cooked northern beans, with liquid (the canned ones are fine!)
2 lbs chicken, cut into pieces***
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 cans chopped mild green chilies (6 or 7 ounce cans)
4 C chicken broth
12 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded (can be omitted if you're dairy free)

***Either cook the chicken ahead of time, or else buy one of those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store
Cook the onion and garlic, add (cooked) chicken, beans, peppers, spices, and broth. Heat for around 15 minutes, then add the cheese making sure its fully melted into the soup. Serve with additional shredded cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment