Friday, March 9, 2012

Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to my blog!
I guess I should start out with a bit of info about me...
A big part of my life right now: I'm in school to become a chemical engineer! I graduate in May and I'm moving out east for a job!
Also, I'm allergic to wheat and milk. The wheat allergy is way worse than the milk one, but this is all very new.

So here's my allergy story:
About 3 days before valentines day this year I woke up in the morning with hives on my face. I have always had allergies to almost everything outside but never bad enough to give me hives. I had them the next two mornings as well, but I put some hydrocortizone cream on them and they went away. On valentines day I started feeling really warm and itchy after lunch and it felt like I had a lump in my throat, I just figured it was cause it was nice out and things were blooming or I was tired or getting a cold, something innocuous.... when I got back from classes and looked in the mirror, I found out I had hives ALL OVER MY BODY! I called my best friend and we went to the urgent care, at urgent care I got used as a human pincushion (so many IV bruises!) and they gave me enough benadryl and steroids to kill a horse. When I didn't start to get better they decided to send me to the ER... which meant a really long and uncomfortable wait for several hours and more steroids and more benadryl. Seriously, by the time I left the ER that night I was high as a kite... I went to a real allergy doctor the next day, who decided I should try to avoid milk, wheat, chicken and peanuts - they were all things I had eaten before I had the reaction. Through a combination of self-experimentation and medical intervention, we figured out I'm allergic to milk and wheat.

I've been wheat free for almost a month now, and dairy free for a fair bit of that, and I feel so much better! Not only am I not breaking out in hives every day, I'm eating healthier, I have more energy and my digestion has finally settled down (sorry if that's TMI, but I'm happy about it!). I can't remember the last time (before now) I actually got my 5 a day!

This blog is going to be a place for all the recipes I create on my journey through this wheat and dairy filled world! I hope you'll join me on that journey and enjoy the recipes I post! If there's ever anything you want me to try out let me know, I'll always take on a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment