Monday, March 26, 2012

Impromptu Dinner Party & Lemon Sole with Polenta

I had a somewhat impromptu dinner party tonight...as in my Big Sis stopped by because she didn't want to go home, and I'd already invited my best friend Jordan over for dinner... yay!
Lucky for them I love cooking for people!
I actually just love having people around, but sharing a meal that you've cooked is special :)

So for our impromptu dinner party I made Lemon Sole and Polenta!

Lemon Sole
1 Cup gluten free flour mix (see the chocolate chip cookie post)
Salt and Pepper
4 Large sole fillets
5 Tbsp Butter substitute (I like Earth Balance, it tastes like butter!)
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup slivered almonds
1/4 Cup drained capers
1 small lemon, sliced paper thin

For the Fish:
Put the flour in a shallow bowl, season with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour and tap off the excess. Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter and add 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fillets two at a time and cook until golden and crisp (~4 min), turning once. Transfer into a dish and cover with foil, put into the microwave or oven to keep warm. Cook the other two fillets in the same manner, adding another Tbsp of butter and oil to the pan.
To prepare the sauce:
Add the remaining butter to the pan, add the almonds and toast for about 2 minutes, until they're golden brown. Add the capers and lemon slices and cook until heated through, about another minute.
Spoon the sauce over the fish and serve!

I served this recipe with polenta, basically its Italian Grits... and it's awesome!
I use Gia Russa quick cooking polenta, it says gluten free right on the box!
You boil up some liquid, use broth or milk if you want, I use water. Next you whisk in the polenta and take it off the heat, stir it for a few minutes and its done!
I just let my guests add parmesan cheese or butter if they want, but it was really good with the fish!


3 comments:

  1. you have been nominated for a versatile blogger award. go to http://chefpeterskitchen.blogspot.com/ for details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to incorporate more fish recipes into my diet and have found a great start with your Lemon Sole and Polenta recipe. Looks like both an everyday and a "company" recipe in one.
    Thanks! Also, congratulations on your Versatile Blogger Award! If it's okay with you, I would like to add you to my list of favorite food blogs on my site's Blogroll. Allen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allen, that would be awesome! This recipe turned out really well and was really quick, so there was plenty of time for socializing with my guests! Good luck with everything :)

      Delete