Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dairy Free Coconut Ice Cream

One of the things I've struggled with the most since I developed my allergies is desserts. Used to be that I would settle down after a long day with a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream, a cookie or a big serving of my apple crisp. I've invested in an ice cream maker and food processor, both of which are extremely handy, and I have to say making my own ice cream is the best! I found this recipe in one of my Thai cookbooks, and its naturally wheat and dairy free, and amazing with chocolate sauce on top! You can sometimes find this at Thai restaurants, and it tastes awesome after a fiery curry.

Coconut Ice Cream (aka: ai-teem ga-ti)
7 Cups unsweetened coconut milk (~4 14oz cans, don't use the light kind...trust me on this)
2 Cups sugar
1 tsp salt

*Read your ice-cream maker's instructions before proceeding, some require you to cook the mixture to dissolve the sugar, others don't*

You can skip the following if your ice cream maker doesn't require you to cook the mixture:
Combine the coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cool to room temperature and cover and chill until very cold.

If your ice cream maker doesn't require you to cook it start here:
Combine all the ingredients in the ice cream maker pail and refrigerate until very cold. Set up the ice cream maker according to your maker's instructions and make the ice cream! This keeps well in the freezer for several weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so easy and delicious. I love coconut milk and thats a great way to replace milk :)

    ReplyDelete